- 32 ounces chicken broth divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen cheese tortellini
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Minced fresh parsley for garnish, optional
In a large pot, bring 2 ½ cups broth to a boil. Add cheese tortellini. Return to a boil and cook about 5 minutes. The tortellini will float to the top when cooked and the internal temperature should be 165ºF for at least 15 seconds. Drain completely.
Meanwhile, whisk together remaining 1 ½ cups broth with corn starch. In a large non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Stir in garlic and basil and cook about 2 minutes.
Add broth-cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil; simmer until the mixture thickens. Add the cooked tortellini to the skillet and toss to coat.
Pour into a serving dish and garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley, if desired.
- To make this dish vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- Serves 8 as an appetizer or first course. Keep warm in a slow cooker if serving a buffet.