2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse
until coarsely chopped.
- Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully
incorporated and smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper. If using immediately, add all the remaining oil and pulse until smooth.
- Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl and mix in the cheese.
- If freezing, transfer to an air-tight container and drizzle remaining oil over
- Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and stir in cheese.